- Published: Monday, 02 April 2012 17:23
The main objective of the NanoXCT project is the design, development and implementation of a compact X-ray computed tomography system for nondestructive chemical and structural characterization of nano-materials and components. The targeted system will avoid expensive X-ray optical elements and not rely on a synchrotron source, which would both extend the costs and would constrain the application areas of the aimed at NanoXCT device.
In detail the following goals will be realized:
- Development of a laboratory scale NanoXCT demonstration system.
- Concerning device components a novel nano focus X-ray source will be developed, which is specifically designed for nano-scale characterization. This nano focus X-ray source generates ultra-bright X-rays to achieve the required specifications. Additionally the proposed detection system employs a novel wide field of view small pitch detector concept with photon counting and spectral information capabilities.
- Nano-scale chemical and structural characterizations will be facilitated by a combination of X-ray fluorescence for elemental analysis and multi energy XCT for material decomposition. Avoiding X-ray optics multi energy XCT will be possible with the targeted concept. So NanoXCT allows changing the used X-ray energy as well as the magnification of the system.
- NanoXCT characterizations will be enabled by the development of dedicated NanoXCT algorithms and methods: (a) Design and implementation of specific recon-struction algorithms to address issues such as phase contrast, artifact reduction, novel image acquisition geometries (e.g., helical CT, region of interest CT, limited angle CT) (b) Design and implementation of specific algorithms to address qualitative and quantitative evaluation of nano scale structural and chemical characterization. This includes image enhancement, analysis concerning structural features, e.g. orientation or alignment, and chemical decomposition in combination with meaningful visualizations of the results.
- The Lab demonstrator facilitates the nano-scale characterization of specimens provided by the projects end-users. These specimens are used as showcase to demonstrate the application areas, starting at nano electronics, nano materials, and carbon nano tubes.